Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 1: Blown away...


Written by Lisa Burke

In life sometimes, well actually more times than not, I tend to over heap expectations onto an experience, which usually leaves me feeling let down. Since I've been knowingly heaping all kinds of expectations on this trip for about six months now, I felt increased nerves building as we approached Sonoma. What if the place doesn't look as pretty as it does online? What if the chef sucks? What if everyone hates going on a Segway tour?

In truth, though, from the on-set this day has been relaxing, easy, and full of laughs with a few inappropriate jokes thrown in the mix. We all arrived at the airport on-time and full of energy...even Annie was smiling at 8 a.m. First expectation exceeded. We had the worlds coolest flight attendants on our flight (shout out to Pete and Diane in coach...what, what), and even though we all didn't get to sit together we spent a large majority of the flight visiting each other and catching up. Bill so sweetly upgraded himself and Blanche to first class to start her birthday trip off right (I know for a fact that this exceeded her expectations). I got to hear how Evan and Sarah's first month of marriage has been and was so impressed by how well little Perry did on the flight too.

Once off the plane, even waiting for over an hour for our rental cars couldn't dampen our spirits, and, after a stop at California's favorite "In-N-Out Burger" we were on the way to Napa. The hour long drive took us over the Golden Gate Bridge before we approached Casa Nueva Vista in Sonoma, California, our home for the next six days.

As we toured the grounds, the only effective way to explain our reaction is "Blown Away!" The three houses on the property are so comfortably appointed with large kitchens, plush linens, and warm living rooms. There is a sand volleyball court, batting cages, outdoor kitchen with pergola, Bocce Ball court, and last, but definitely not least, the most beautiful pool we have ever seen. Plush couches and loungers surround the pool area and spa, which is accented by a falling waterfall and rock slide. Each night our outdoor bonfire is rebuilt for us, since Sonoma has a high of 80 degrees and lows of 50 degrees at night. All of this is surrounded by beautiful gardens and areas for conversation. Another huge expectation surpassed.

We instantly made ourselves at home and lounged by the pool. It was just the casual gathering that I had imagined as I daydreamed about the trip, and I looked up from my book several times and just felt grateful. There's no way this trip could fall short of my expectations, I realized, because all I had really wanted was to just spend time with these people and get to know them even better. So, I'm writing this now, feeling even more grateful as this unique group of family laughs around the patio table. Our bellies are full (after our three-course meal prepared by our personal chef, Moeya...and yes, I'm rubbing it in), we've had a few drinks, and we're sharing stories. So, in closing...I am overwhelmed and my expectations continue to be blown away by my surroundings, but mostly by the hearts and minds of the people around me.

1 comment:

  1. THANKS Lisa for the great description of the 1st day! This blog is really so fun! I feel like I'm experiencing it to a minor degree with you all. Knowing everyone so well, I can just imagine what you're experiencing! Such wonderful people in a *perfect* setting! How could it NOT exceed expectations! :) Love to all!

    ReplyDelete